Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Life Without Food

ORIGINALLY POSTED 11/16/2009 ON TECHNOBUFFALO.COM

Unable to swallow, my separation from food is uniquely non-genetic. Instead, it is congenital disabilities that make it impossible for me to consume foods enjoyed all around me. My connection with food is purely objective, as I try to discover what makes the food world tick. Eating for me is a chore, requiring all physical movements and no enjoyable component. Thus, I learn about most people’s relation from several sources.Watching the Food Network and reading cookbooks, I am constantly learning how foods go together and what combinations work. I have no sense of what would taste “good” together, so I must externally learn this. While baking and cooking, I get to observe all I have read in action. This is potentially the closest I will get to the food experience, so I savor it as best I can. I watch to see how foods react to each other, and how flavor is added or cut from foods. Cooking is an art that must be mastered, and I admire it greatly. Finally, attending a restaurant is the pinnacle of my food world. This is where all that I have learned so far comes together. It is in the middle of a dining hall that I figure out what food really means to people, and my observations are rarely dull. From incessant requests of an overly busy wait staff, to uniquely positive (or negative) audible responses to food hitting the tongue, communal eating in public brings out previously unseen sides of people.

No comments: