Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Different Kind of Silent Movie

On Saturday April 10th, I attended the movie “Black Sands” with friends from my ASL class. The movie was completely signed, had subtitles, but offered no sound. This was the third Deaf event I have attended, and it was significantly different from the other two. Like any movie, small groups of people came to the event together and seemed to stay with those they came with. When I have gone to Deaf Chats at Panera Bread, the “hosts” are expecting people to show up and people are eager to see friends who may arrive separately. This may seem like a small difference, but it actually made it harder for me and my friends to fully interact with the Deaf community.

Despite these difficulties, I did have the chance to converse with a few Deaf individuals. I asked about their work and lives, and they asked about my school, teachers, and general life as well. At first, I was nervous about having a full and natural conversation in ASL, but I soon fell into a pattern and felt at ease. I enjoyed meeting new people, and overall had fun at the event.

One unique aspect I especially enjoyed was seeing the TTY and Video Phone display. I talked with another Deaf person at the table about the technology, and how far we have come. It truly is amazing to think about the current state of technology when the original inventor of the phone, Alexander Graham Bell, was so against the Deaf community and the use of ASL. Bell was instrumental in the “No-ASL” policy in many American schools, and I have often wondered if the telephone was just another way to shun this particular sector of the American population.

I am very glad that Deaf individuals are now respected in this country and can have a fully equal approach to life as every other American. I am glad I had the opportunity and the suggestion to attend this event, and hope to participate in more in the future.

No comments: